Monday, September 14, 2009

Swift, Beyoncé and Others Take Home Moonmen

Beyonce, Eminem, Britney Spears and Taylor Swift all won Moonmen at Sunday's 2009 MTV Video Music Awards — the latter much to the chagrin of Kanye West. But what's an award show without some controversy from the rapper?

Swift, the first winner of the night for Best Female Video for "You Belong with Me," was abruptly interrupted during her acceptance speech by West, who grabbed the microphone from her to declare that "Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!"

Beyonce looked horrified as the audience booed West and Swift was ushered offstage. The singer got her moment nearly two hours later though, when Beyonce invited her onstage after winning Video of the Year for "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)."

Check out the most memorable VMA moments from years past

West, who was booed whenever his named was mentioned after the incident, lost all three of his nominations. He later took to his blog to apologize to Swift.

"I'm sooooo sorry to Taylor Swift and her fans and her mom. I spoke to her mother right after and she said the same thing my mother would've said. She is very talented! I like the lyrics about being a cheerleader and she's in the bleachers! I'm in the wrong for going on stage and taking away from her moment!" West wrote.

"Beyonce's video was the best of this decade!!!! I'm sorry to my fans if I let you guys down!!!! I'm sorry to my friends at MTV. I will apologize to Taylor 2mrw. Welcome to the real world!!!! Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause ... well you know!!!! I'm still happy for Taylor!!!! Boooyaaawwww!!!! You are very very talented!!! I gave my awards to Outkast when they deserved it over me ... That's what it is!!!!!!! I'm not crazy y'all, i'm just real. Sorry for that!!! I really feel bad for Taylor and I'm sincerely sorry!!! Much respect!!!!!"

See the list of VMA winners below:

Video of the Year: Beyoncé - "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)"

Best Male Video: T.I. (featuring Rihanna) - "Live Your Life"

Best Female Video: Taylor Swift - "You Belong with Me"

Best New Artist: Lady GaGa - "Poker Face"

Best Pop Video: Britney Spears - "Womanizer"

Best Rock Video: Green Day - "21 Guns"

Best Hip-Hop Video: Eminem - "We Made You"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License